The seminar will explore persons, ideas, and movements that have shaped the meanings of American Christianity. These will include:
- Who are the Puritans and why do they still matter?
- The Great Awakening and the birth of evangelism
- The American Revolution and the Separation of Church and State
- Revivalism and Social Reform: The debate over slavery
- Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War
- The “Americanist Controversy” in Catholicism, and early Fundamentalism
- Evangelicalism from the Scopes Trial to Billy Graham (and Beyond)
- Martin Luther King, the Black Church, and the Civil Rights Movement
- The shape of Modern American Christianity
- Ideas Have Consequences: How Then Should We Live?
This seminar is offered in the conviction that “the past is prologue.” The study of history can help us determine how to live our lives as disciples of Jesus Christ and his Church in a changing American culture.
This course will be offered at the La Canada Presbyterian Church and be live streamed at the Tustin Presbyterian Church. Both professors will meet face to face with Orange County students at a special Saturday morning session.
Click on link for Syllabus: Ameican Christianity SYLLABUS Jan 20 2017
Click on link for Brochure: Crucial Movements in American Christianity Brochure