Announcing Fall 2020 Courses
Faith Formation and Spiritual Growth in Challenging Times
Professor: Rev. Dr. Christine (Tina) Blair
The current context of a global pandemic, and the “Me Too” and “Black Lives Matter” movements, demands that we rethink our theological and educational goals as Christian educators. This context reshapes how we will think about the following questions:
What factors contribute to the growth of faith in persons? How do we nurture faith and discipleship in children, teens and adults? How is our theology lived out in our practices of nurture, education and discipleship? In what ways does cultural context affect faith formation?
We will reflect on our own practices as we explore these questions, drawing on the fields of practical theology, psychology, educational methodology and sociology, and work to create new avenues for faith formation and spiritual growth.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Students will articulate their own theory and theology of Christian education and formation.
- Students will be able to discuss different models of Christian education and formation, differentiating the differing goals, theologies and methodologies of these models.
- Students will become acquainted with current research in learning and teaching.
- Students will develop an awareness of the influence of culture and context on educational practices.
- Students will be able to describe and evaluate the whole educational curriculum of church life.
- Students will be able to evaluate curricular materials.
- Students will be able to plan an educational event.
Galatians and Ephesians
Beginning Monday, October 5
7:00 PM (via ZOOM)
Taught by Rev. Dr. Peter Hintzoglou
This course will engage a study of these significant books by Paul covering the historical, sociological and theological issues significant in the life of the early church but also in the life of the church today. There is contrast between the two letters. The one, Galatians, is polemic in nature while the latter, Ephesians, is more irenic and encouraging and filled with thanksgiving. The issues will be examined and consider the application for ministry and life today.
Please contact Director of Admissions Sam Kim at email@example.com for more information.